Homemade Spring Rolls
Welcome back to Children of the Ummah. Today we decided to share the recipe for homemade spring rolls. This recipe is very easy and convenient. You can make these spring rolls and freeze them to make at any time. These are especially great for Ramadan as they make a quick and delicious Iftaar.
You can watch the full video here:
For the chicken:
- 2-3 chicken thighs/ breasts
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Ginger Paste
For the vegetables:
- 2 cups Carrot, grated
- 2 cups Cabbage, grated
- 1 White/ Red onion thinly sliced
- Handful of green onions
- 3 Tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp Tamari or Soy sauce
For the papers:
- 35-40 Spring roll wrappers
- Water and flour for the slurry
- For the chicken, put oil in a pan and heat. Add garlic ginger paste and mix for 10 seconds. Add chicken and cook until done. Set aside to cool. Once cooled, shred the chicken using two forks check video for technique).
- Next prepare the vegetables. In a wok, heat 3 Tbsp of oil. Add in your shredded chicken and vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Add 2 Tbsp of Tamari and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Once vegetables are slightly soft and fragrant, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Next prepare the slurry, add 1 Tsp of flour to a bowl and mix enough water in to create a runny glue consistency.
- In another bowl, add water and set aside.
- To make the spring rolls, take one of the wrappers and slightly dampen it with the water. Next take 1 Tbsp of your vegetable and chicken filling and place it at one of the corners of the wrapper. Apply the slurry to the edges. Fold the sheets to form a roll (check the video for technique).
- If you don’t have a grater for your vegetables, then you can cut them finely with a knife.
- I used SpringHome spring roll wrappers. They came in packs of 20. I got around 35 spring rolls, but you may get more or less based on how much you fill the wrappers.